Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Better than Auntie Ann's Homemade Pretzels!


Okay so about a month ago my parents were coming over for tea and I needed to make a dessert. I really didn't feel like having cake or brownies or cookies. I was craving something salty. I know my dad has a serious addiction to pretzels and I know how much he loves the near-by Amish pretzel's....so I thought to my self....Why not try to make some at home??!!! So I got out my yeast and started this simple recipe. This is my own version...did some minor tweaks to the original from Ourbestbites.com 



GATHER: 
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tsp kosher salt
2 1/4 Tsp active yeast (or 1 package dry active yeast)
2 cups whole wheat flour
2  1/2 cups unbleached flour
2 oz unsalted butter, melted

Vegetable oil or PAM to bake
Parchment Paper

10 cups of water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 large egg yolk beaten with a Tbsp water

Cinnamon-Sugar pretzels: additional melted butter + cinnamon sugar
Salted pretzels: additional melted butter + additional kosher salt

STEPS:

1. Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. 
2. Add the flour cup by cup along with the butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. 
3. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. 
4. Remove the dough from the bowl, scrape the bowl clean and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for about 60 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size. I have found that if I put my oven on 250 degrees F for 5 minutes before I put the yeast dough in, that is the best technique to obtain a nice warm place. I also take pictures before and after the 60 minutes to see if it doubled. There is no need to punch down the dough.
5. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and either brush with oil or else spray with Pam.
6. Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in a large soup pot.
7. In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan.
8. YOU CANNOT SKIP THIS STEP!!!!! Place the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Use a metal skimmer spoon to get the pretzels out. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with kosher salt or skip the salt and use cinnamon sugar. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment